Wednesday 26 January 2011

Three.

'Culture Shock'

Jong,

So as promised here is a little tiding over about my preparation (or lack of it) for Japan.

The meeting we had today was bizarre, vaguely hysterical and only semi-practical. Yes, I know these phrases promote more confusion than answers. Welcome to my world.

But the one thing which hit me today was Helens discussion on 'culture shock'. I've had some information from Japan regarding this before, so it surprised me that it was being reiterated in a meeting. But what I didn't get from the email was that it is a real phenomena and most likely will affect all of us at some point whilst we're there. So this post is an advance apology: if the messages/or the way I talk to you becomes 'Japan is sooo much better than everything in England' or 'Japan is shite' don't get annoyed at me, please. I'm trying to cope with something much bigger than I can handle, so please forgive me if I cause offence. It's like when you go to uni and you have the point when you really need/want to go home and you take it out on people you love. We've all been there, so give me your patience and love and I will say to myself 'I am grounded. I am humble. I am one with everything'.


(I know we aren't going for that long, but we will be there for at least 100 days. Imagine a 100 days with voices speaking in a language you can't understand. It would be like living without the colour purple. It's impossible to imagine living without it and makes you feel isolated because it has become only a memory to you. Everybody else can see purple in it's rich, darkened, majesty or it's calming lilac hue. But you are searching and can never find it. But eventually, one day, you are able to pick out the tiniest, whisper shade, of white purple in the azure sky. And you feel slightly safer. Because you're starting to understand. And that gives you hope.)



Basically, the concept of 'culture shock' doesn't surprise or scare me. The symptoms remind me of when I've had issues with the sad pieces in my head. So although I will never say I'm prepared, I'm ready to say 'Battle on', again.

(I suppose this requires some explanation about what I mean about the 'sad pieces in my head'. You won't get it though. I reveal things when I need to.)


(forever yours)

No comments:

Post a Comment